Rockafellow Law Firm


Tucson Office


When a Car Accident Interrupts Your Vacation

  • Blog >
  • When a Car Accident Interrupts Your Vacation

When a Car Accident Interrupts Your Vacation

This is the time of year that many Arizonians hit the road for fun in the sun. Any time you are in an accident, it is an inconvenience, but if you get into an accident out-of-state, it is an extra burden. Not only are your travel plans interrupted, but you must deal with getting your car back home one way or another.

If you are in a car accident in a state other than your home state, your automobile insurance will still cover you. After the accident, you should call the police and file a police report because your out-of-state insurance carrier may require it. You should also exchange information with the other driver, take pictures and write down your observations.

Next, call your insurance carrier. Most national insurance companies have claims adjusters in almost every state, so either an adjuster from your home state or an adjuster in the state of the accident will handle your claim. Ask your adjuster whether your policy covers out of state repairs, out of state towing or out of state rentals.

The biggest expense will probably be getting your car back home. If your car has to be towed, make sure the towing is covered by your insurance or at least know what portion of the towing your insurance will pay for. If you decide to have the car repaired at the site of the accident, make sure that the repair shop is covered by your insurance. Your insurance company may be able to recommend repair and towing companies to help you since you may not be familiar with that area of the country.

If you’re away from home and get into an accident, consultation with an experienced Tucson car accident attorney can help you navigate the multi-state system to recover for your injuries ― or recover against your insurance company if they haven’t been responsive to your claim.

Contact us