The Top Five Holidays On Which DUIs Occur
Every year, during the holidays, there is a consistent increase in intoxicated drivers on the road. Of all the holidays, there are five that are more dangerous for non-intoxicated drivers than others. If you have been involved in an accident with a drunk driver, you need an experienced Tucson accident lawyer.
- New Year’s Day — You are 50 percent more likely to be involved in a car accident when driving on New Year’s Day, the most dangerous holiday by far.
- July 4th — The entire weekend connected with Independence Day is a dangerous time to be driving. Your chances of getting in an accident go up by 26 percent.
- Memorial Day — Another holiday where risk is up for the entire weekend, your chances of getting into an accident rise by 22 percent.
- Labor Day — Your chances of being in a crash go up by 14 percent.
- Thanksgiving — Accident totals for this holiday include Wednesday night and Thursday night, creating a 12 percent rise in accidents.
Other holidays that rounded out the top ten for car crashes include Father’s Day, Halloween, Christmas Eve, Mardi Gras and Groundhog day.
What constitutes drunk driving?
In Arizona, drunk driving is defined as getting behind the wheel with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 percent or more. Commercial drivers qualify as being intoxicated at 0.04 percent. Arizona has an implied consent law for drivers — that is, by getting behind the wheel, you have implied your consent to chemical testing for BAC. If you refuse, you receive a fine and automatic license suspension.
In Arizona, officers have the right to test anyone involved at the scene of the accident, or immediately upon arrival to a medical facility. They don’t have to wait for a warrant. DUI’s are also subject to a look-back period of seven years, so if you are involved in an accident with a repeat offender, the DUI information on their record for the past seven years is available for sentencing consideration. However, it’s still imperative that you get an experienced Tucson auto accident attorney to help you collect all the evidence needed to build your case. Call Rockafellow Law Firm today to speak to an attorney experienced in DUI cases.