Accident Basics – December 2011
It is December again and the streets are filled with Holiday Shoppers rushing here and there. Traffic is slow and most collisions this time of year are low speed as driving the speed limit on any street becomes nearly impossible to do. If you are involved in a low speed collision, don’t make the mistake of failing to report it, or assume you are not injured. Here are some tips to make sure you take care of yourself as well as anyone you may injure.
- Call 911 immediately.
- Provide assistance to any obviously injured person to the best of your ability.
- Set flares if dark and activate your four way flashers light or dark.
- Use your cell phone to take photos of the cars involved from all angles including skid marks if any exist. Make sure to get the license plate numbers in the photos.
- Move the cars off the street after the photos are taken while you wait for the police to respond. Never stand between the cars. This is extremely dangerous.
- Get names, phone numbers and addresses of all witnesses including email addresses if available.
- Get your copy of the police report before you leave the scene or at least get the report number. Answer all questions of the police and paramedics truthfully.
- Report all injuries, even suspected injuries.
- Accept emergency medical care including a ride to the hospital if the paramedics offer it. Refusing medical care is never a good idea. Trust the professionals to exercise professional judgment.
- If you feel you are not injured at the scene but decide later that you might be, don’t delay treatment. Report immediately to a hospital ER or Urgent Care Center and report all complaints of pain.
- Control your emotions. This is not the time to be casting blame or accusations of wrongdoing. Get the other driver’s personal information and insurance information as above.
- Have your insurance information and vehicle registration ready for the police so you can provide it when they arrive.
Think of the above as a “twelve step program” to making your auto accident experience a manageable experience. If you need help, all of us at the Rockafellow Law Firm are here for you. There is never a charge for an initial consultation and all fees on accident cases are contingent. Call toll-free at 866-968-2924 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation.